Sunday 10 May 2015

Do we need to revamp the voting system?

You may have noticed that this week we had a General Election, there hasn't been much in the news about it.



I'm not going to get into who won, or who should have won, but I do think it is unfair how the seats in the House are allocated.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the number of votes received and the seats won.



If you do a few calculations, you can see that the Tories won 1 seat for every 34,244 votes; Labour 1 for 40,290; SNP 1 for every 25,972 votes; SDLP 1 for every 33,270 and UKIP?  1 seat for 3,881,129 votes!

The Tories received less than 3 times the number of votes that UKIP did and yet won 330 more seats.

Regardless of your political beliefs, is this fair?

I don't know what the ideal system is.  Is there even an ideal system?  

But I do think something needs to be done.

I also think that we need to stop ex-pats voting.  I don't mean people who are on short-term work contracts abroad, but if you have made a conscious decision to sell up and leave this country, why should you have a say in how it is run?

What do you think?









1 comment:

  1. I think it should be more representative but also allowing people to pick. I think I'm too idealistic.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete