Thursday 14 March 2013

An Interlude... but not in Constantinople.

I have four fancy dress events coming up in the next few months and I have no idea what to wear.  I am terrible with fancy dress outfits, I usually change my mind 5 or 6 times for each event and so have a plastic crate full of part completed costumes in the box room.

The first event is themed 'The Seventies', now in my opinion this is far too broad of a scope, especially for my indecisive brain.  I have managed to get hold of an original seventies skirt and top set, it is blue speckly stripes, if you lived through the seventies you will know exactly what I mean, a pair of cork wedges and some American Tan tights.  But I am not happy.  I don't know exactly what I want to wear I just know I am not happy with my current outfit.

The second event is themed 'Queen', that's Queen the band, not her Maj.  Again a very broad scope. First idea was to go as someone in the crowd at Knebworth or Wembley, (jeans & tshirt) but decided that I really should put more effort into it.  Second idea was to go as Brian May in the I Want To Break Free video (pink nightie, curlers, bunny slippers) but I couldn't find a nightie that looked just right so that was that idea out of the window (if I am going to do something I have to do it right).  So am now looking at Roger Taylor, and who wouldn't, in a schoolgirl outfit and so far have the skirt and boater.  But I still have time to change my mind.  Again.



The third event is unthemed. Nightmare!  It is also in Spain so whatever I decide to wear has to be practical and not take up too much space in a suitcase.  The pub where the party is being held is called Alcatraz so have settled, at least for now, on a prison themed outfit.  I have ordered three.  The first one arrived today.  It is a fluorescent orange zip up dress, with GUILTY printed on the back and a prison number on the front, it comes with a black belt and handcuffs.  It's a no-go.  Far too baggy on the top half and non-existent on the bottom half.  I knew it was going to be short, however I did expect it to cover my bottom..  Will work with leggings as a last resort.

This is not me, as much as I would like to say it is.

I also have on order two black and white striped outfits.  The first is a dress and hat, but I am guessing I will have the same issues with the length as the one that arrived today,  the second is a stripey tshirt and trousers and I have a feeling that this is the one I will end up in.  

Finally, I have a Ghostbusters themed party.  I did have an idea for this one,  a little bit out of the box and unlikely to be copied.  I was going to go as Columbia, from the film company logo, but then thought 'white dress', 'lots of alcohol' and decided against it.  So once again I am stumped.  And again it needs to be easy to transport as I have a 7 hour train journey to get to the party.


The first party is in 5 weeks, so I really need to make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment