Tuesday 13 August 2013

My experience at the hands of a PUA Student

For those of you who are unaware, PUA stands for Pick Up Artist.  There are various online providers of PUA courses and they also arrange meet ups and parties, there are books and other materials available too, it is big business.

Not long after I became aware of these materials I happened to catch School For Scoundrels on the telly one Sunday afternoon, the original version with Terry-Thomas and Ian Carmichael, and I thought how similar it seemed.

As I understand it, it was originally thought up to help men attract women who were out of their league, after all, who doesn't want a beautiful partner?  It also helped shy men who struggled to speak to women overcome their obstacles and live happily ever after.

All this is very commendable, I would certainly like to learn how to have enough confidence to speak to men outside of work/college.

However, it soon become a tool for amusement.

Men who had no problems in getting women, some of whom were actually in relationships already, would choose a woman in whom they had no interest whatsoever and then make them fall in love with them.  All the while laughing at them with their friends, and even girlfriends or wives.

This is what happened to me.  He had links to PUA sites all over his social media page but at the time I had no idea what this was so took little notice.  He said all the right things, we seemed to have the same tastes in films, books and music.

We used to speak every day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  Had he asked, I would have given up everything to be with him.  As far as I was concerned, he was 'the one'.  I know that at the time we were both working shifts, but I realise now that it should have been much easier to arrange meet ups.

All of a sudden, all references to PUA had been deleted from his profile, all the posts, videos, events, all gone, he had met the woman who was to become his long term partner.  I don't know whether he used his techniques on her, but she seems to be able to forgive him anything, she still, 4 years later, seems to be as smitten as I had been.

Has anyone else had any experience of this?



No comments:

Post a Comment