Friday 9 August 2013

Ten Day You Challenge - Four Books



Four Books

1.  The Swish of the Curtain by Pamela Brown.  I loved this book and the tv series that followed, the book cost me 75p when I bought it which was a fortune back in the day.  It is about some very posh children who set up their own theatre company in a derelict hall for which they raise money to repair themselves.  It is very much of its time and probably would not be appreciated by today's youngsters.


2.  The Hal and Roger Series by Willard Price.  A very un-PC series of books that were bought for me by my Grandad, which probably was one of the reasons I loved them so much.  It was about two young brothers who travelled the world trapping animals for zoos and private collections.  They faced danger in every book from cannibals to sharks but always came through.


3.  The Famous Five.  Who hasn't read the Famous Five?  Julian, Dick and Ann, George and Timmy the dog.  I always imagined myself as George, a complete tomboy with a dog.  I would have loved to live on the coast and have my own boat and island.


4.  The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.  I can read these again and again.  In these books I see myself as Granny Weatherwax, Susan Sto Helit or Lady Sybil rather than Nanny Ogg or Sergeant Angua, certainly not Mrs Palm.


No comments:

Post a Comment