Sunday 19 May 2013

A Silver Spoon? I don't think I am.

Recently I was called a 'Silver Spoon' and this really annoyed me.  It takes a lot to rile me, names certainly don't do it.  I've been called fat, ugly, useless so many times that it is water off a duck's back, but this stung.

The Wikipedia definition of Silver Spoon is this...

The English Language expression Silver Spoon is synonymous with wealth, especially inherited wealth; someone born into a wealthy family is said to have been 'born with a silver spoon in his mouth'.  As an adjective, 'silver-spoon' describes someone who has a prosperous background or is of a well-to-do family environment, often with the connotation that the person doesn't appreciate or deserve his or her advantage, it being inherited rather than earned.  It has been used in cultural or political situations to describe someone as aristocratic or out of touch with the common people.
  


Yes, the house is paid for.

Yes, I have always tried to go on holiday twice a year (a weekend in the UK and a week in Spain).  I have not always been in a position to afford this, but it has always been my aim.

But

I left school at 16 and went straight onto a YTS scheme with the local Health Authority, earning the princely sum of £28.50 per week and, I think, £2 towards my bus fare.  Previous to this I had worked weekends and school holidays in Woolworths.  And apart from two periods immediately after being made redundant (once from an Insurance company and once from a major High Street retailer) I have worked ever since, sometimes doing 60 hours per week.

I have just completed 3 years of working full time and studying part time, and I have now started my ACCA qualification (hence the name of the blog) so I am currently working 37.5 hours per week, travelling to and from work for 15 hours per week plus studying.

So how someone who, at the same age as me, has never worked a day in her life, instead going from relationship to relationship collecting children and their associated benefit income along the way, spends most of her days in various pubs, still with assorted menfolk AND goes on holiday every year (with what and from what I have yet to discover) feels qualified to call me 'Silver Spoon' when everything I own has been worked for I do not know.

I don't work because I want to, I work because I have to.  I am doing all these qualifications so that I can get as much money for working as I can so that I can retire sooner and start living the life of the benefit scrounger, except that I will be paying for it all.

Please, if anyone does think the above makes me 'privileged', let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment